Tuesday 9 April 2013

A Grasp of the Fundamentals: Introduction

Last year I was lucky enough to get a place on an Art tour for gifted students in Cheshire around the beautiful region of Tuscany. Part of the trip was for us to create our own costume inspired by Gozzoli's Journey of the Magi, one of the pieces we'd get to see!

Just part of Benezzo Gozzoli's amazing fresco
Now I got VERY excited by this opportunity having recently purchased Tomoko Nakamichi's Pattern Magic 2 (which by the way, if you're an experienced pattern maker or, like me, are fascinated by the amazing shapes a few darts and seams can create - this book should be gracing your bookshelves right now!) and long desiring to sew something of my own design.So in a flash of (slightly naive) beginner's confidence I decided that - pfft these things can't be that hard! - and embarked on a journey to make my very own version of her Fundamentals dress. If I couldn't get the Fundamentals, what could I get? Right?

The instructions
In the next few posts I'll guide you through what I did, what I did wrong (mainly) and how you could do it better. The end result is something I was very proud of, with it being pretty much the second or third full on garment I'd made, but it is far from flawless and I hope that if there's someone out there wanting to try it themselves but are feeling a little bit scared or stuck, these posts shall help guide/motivate you!! 

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment